- Always read the medicine label.
- Choose a medicine that will treat only the symptoms you have.
- Know what to avoid while taking a medicine (other medicines; certain foods; alcohol).
- If you have questions about a medicine, ask a pharmacist or another healthcare professional before you buy it.
- Take the medicine exactly as directed on the label.
- Be cautious when taking more than one medicine at a time, and ask your healthcare professional or pharmacist about potential interactions.
- Donít combine prescription medicines and OTC medicines without talking to your healthcare professional first.
- Share with each healthcare professional you see an up-to-date list of the medicines you take including prescription, OTC, and dietary and herbal supplements.
- Do not share your medicines or take someone elseís medicines.
- Do not use medicines after the expiration date.
For more information and a list of reminders for using medicine safely, visit www.bemedwise.org.